Skip to main content

Qarib Qarib Singlle (2017) Movie Review and Revisiting


Qarib Qarib Singlle

"There was a time above...a time before...there were perfect things...diamond absolutes. But things fall...things on earth. And what falls...is fallen. In the dream, it took me to the light. A beautiful lie."
—Batman (Batman Vs Superman) 

Now that we have lost him for three years now, I feel like Irrfan is a character written by Gulzar. It's been a long since I've been an admirer of Irrfan and his films. In the list of all those big films 'Qarib Qarib Singlle' stood out to be one of the most underrated of his filmography and as a Rom-com in Indian cinema too. 
 I don't know the very particular reason for me to like this film but whenever I feel like life is so complicated and complex and I'm lost in the way of this complexity, I watch this film. I see the beauty of this film, I feel the simplicity of the dialogue, and the silliness of the characters. They make me laugh, they make me emotional, they make me hope for life, and they make me feel beautiful. I believe that's what a good cinema does to someone who is lost in life. 
  I think I'm being a little bit biased but it is what It is. I just can't stop talking about the simplicity of Yogi played by Irrfan and Jaya played by Parvathy Thiruvothu. The characters are so much different from each other and yet so similar, grounded and yet over the top, sad somewhere and yet smiling through everything. Yogi loves to love and loves to write poetry, full of life and silly. On the other hand, Jaya is very serious but desperately wants to live. They meet in a dating app and Jaya regrets from the very first moment after meeting Yogi and yet they go together on a long, eventful trip. As they learn something from each other, they somewhere fall for each other eventually. 
  Now there are so many Rom-com films, good ones, and bads too. But there is something about Qarib Qarib Singlle that I cannot express in words. It's certainly because it was an Irrfan film but more than that, it was a beautiful film. Before he was here and after, this film doesn't make you feel his absence. You realize that here and there, he is here, always. 

I'd suggest that everyone who has ever loved Irrfan's work should watch this film, everyone who has ever loved someone should watch this film. 

Happy watching everyone. Happy watching.


       ~ Subhodeep Chakraborty 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shazam! Fury of the Gods 2023 Movie Review, Regrets & Suggestions

Shazam! Fury of the Gods Life is very beautiful yet complicated. We all do some deeds, sometimes we are very much satisfied with what we do and sometimes there are regrets what's left. And it is very sad to live with regrets.    After watching Shazam! Fury of the Gods, I really, really regret not seeing this film in theatres. A genuinely enjoyable Superhero film. Now I am not saying that it was perfect and the greatest creation of mankind, it's not. There are some flaws and some setbacks but it was a good film, and by seeing the box office numbers it did not deserve to be a flop.    Shazam! Fury of the Gods has everything that a Harry Potter film has and more. The story is very different and unique, to me pretty risky too considering the villains don't exist in the comics. There are dragons and minotaurs and cyclopses and unicorns too.    In my opinion, the predecessor to this film had a better story arc, very grounded and comforting. This story...

Om-Dar-B-Dar 1988 Film Review

Om-Dar-B-Dar 1988 Film Review A film had to be as brilliant as Om Dar-B-Dar to bring me back from the melancholy and abyss to reviewing films again. And oh boy, what work it did.  One has to think beyond imagination to understand or even feel this film. One of the most brilliant films of Indian cinema is Om Dar-B-Dar directed by Kamal Swaroop whom I'd love to explore more shortly. When I came to know about this film, I had no idea that the Post-modern Indian cinema would have something like this in its sleeves. A film in surreal non-linear way like 'Barton Fink'  with Social and Political satire like 'Captain Fantastic' with its straight-cut dialogues, breaking the social norms in the most enjoyable way possible is a delight to watch.  I just feel like this film has too much to observe and too little recognition. As melodious as the name sounds, Om Dar-B-Dar is a surrealist masterpiece with a full-blown social & political satire. This film follows th...

What is 'Babylon'? Babylon 2022 Film Review, starring Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt, Diego Calva, Jovan Adepo & Toby Maguire

Babylon 2022  Nowadays there are only several films that hook me up to the end. And Babylon is one of them.    Now I don't know why Babylon didn't perform at the so-called box office so much and became a flop. But in my opinion, it is a love letter to the cinema, a dedicated appreciation, a celebration.   Based on primarily four characters who are in show business at different levels, Babylon is one of those films that will stand out in the test of time and eventually, hopefully, will become a cult classic.   With its incredible and enormous cast, Babylon sheds light on the bizarre lives of stars and wannabe stars in the town of Bel-Air. And their transformation through the transition from the silent era to the sound era.   Now that we are talking about casting. Let's talk about the incredibly talented cast with exceptional performances. Brad Pitt as Jack Conrad, loosely based on John Wilbert, a silent film...