Skip to main content

The Bypass (2003) Short Film Review & Revival


The Bypass

This is the ocean of sand and everyone's a criminal in it. 
So as I came back home defeated from work, I was seeking an escape as I do every day from reality. I checked my watchlist and I couldn't find any. So I faced YouTube, the OG one. As I searched for Short films on YouTube, this film came to my vision. A film with Irrfan in it was enough to make me interested and it was a crime thriller. So I jumped into it and boy what a show it was. 
 The story starts with a newlywed couple, in their car going through the desert facing two bandits and then the story switches its center point quite often showing us that not everyone who seems to have kind intentions or morals is not made that way. A cop, a cook, a helpless woman, an old lady, a driver, and two bandits. Everyone gets their fair share of consequences. 
  Although the film is pretty short and doesn't have any dialogue the treatment of this film is just classic. Irrfan and Nawaz are both in this film making it a must-watch. Although no dialogues seem forceful at times the twists are well executed. The writer-director of this film Amit Kumar did a very pleasant job on the project. 

Overall, this film is a well-made short film for you to watch. 
My rating for this film would be 4/5

       ~ Subhodeep Chakraborty



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shazam! Fury of the Gods 2023 Movie Review, Regrets & Suggestions

Shazam! Fury of the Gods Life is very beautiful yet complicated. We all do some deeds, sometimes we are very much satisfied with what we do and sometimes there are regrets what's left. And it is very sad to live with regrets.    After watching Shazam! Fury of the Gods, I really, really regret not seeing this film in theatres. A genuinely enjoyable Superhero film. Now I am not saying that it was perfect and the greatest creation of mankind, it's not. There are some flaws and some setbacks but it was a good film, and by seeing the box office numbers it did not deserve to be a flop.    Shazam! Fury of the Gods has everything that a Harry Potter film has and more. The story is very different and unique, to me pretty risky too considering the villains don't exist in the comics. There are dragons and minotaurs and cyclopses and unicorns too.    In my opinion, the predecessor to this film had a better story arc, very grounded and comforting. This story...

Gaman (1978) Film Appriciation

Gaman 1978  If one has to understand the pain of separation and helplessness, Gaman is the movie for you. Gaman is one of the most visually impactful Hindi cinema.  Director Muzaffar Ali's brilliance is been shown in every shot of the film. Gaman is a film of departure. Ghulam played by Farooq Sheikh a man from a village who tries to do better in life, tries to meet his end. He moves to the city of Mumbai with the help of his friend Lallulal Tewari played by Jalal Agha who's been working in the city for a quite long time. At first, Ghulam seems to have a very progressive journey to become a taxi driver, he feels hopeful. But eventually, all hope dies when he realizes that there's no way out of this rotten city.  There are so many factors in this film that are nothing less than genius. First of all, the acting. Everyone, from Farooq Sheikh to Smita Patil, a very young Nana Patekar to Jalal Agha, everyone was on point, giving their best to it.  ...

Om-Dar-B-Dar 1988 Film Review

Om-Dar-B-Dar 1988 Film Review A film had to be as brilliant as Om Dar-B-Dar to bring me back from the melancholy and abyss to reviewing films again. And oh boy, what work it did.  One has to think beyond imagination to understand or even feel this film. One of the most brilliant films of Indian cinema is Om Dar-B-Dar directed by Kamal Swaroop whom I'd love to explore more shortly. When I came to know about this film, I had no idea that the Post-modern Indian cinema would have something like this in its sleeves. A film in surreal non-linear way like 'Barton Fink'  with Social and Political satire like 'Captain Fantastic' with its straight-cut dialogues, breaking the social norms in the most enjoyable way possible is a delight to watch.  I just feel like this film has too much to observe and too little recognition. As melodious as the name sounds, Om Dar-B-Dar is a surrealist masterpiece with a full-blown social & political satire. This film follows th...